Happy Memorial Day Weekend! Memorial Day is this Monday, May 25th, a day where we honor those who have passed while serving in the U.S. military. It is important to share this special holiday with little ones and teach them about the sacrifice of others.
This day also seems to be the unofficial start of summer and usually involves barbeques with family and friends, pool or beach days and other outdoor fun! Enjoy celebrating this holiday with this fun and easy craft while teaching your little ones the meaning of this day and how to honor our military.
We made patriotic popsicle stars that could be placed on a window, door or hung up as garland. You could also use these as décor for the Fourth of July too! If you've been crafting with us, you know that we take any activity as an opportunity to practice learning colors and counting all while developing our little one's fine motor skills. We held up the popsicle craft sticks to practice our numbers and colors.
The stars were made with popsicle craft sticks in two different sizes, painting and gluing them together. These patriotic stars could be embellished with as much as you'd like. You could use ribbons, glitter, sequins, buttons and much more. We decided to keep ours simple this time.
Once your stars are complete, hang them up and let your little one admire their work!
How are you planning to celebrate Memorial Day with your little ones this year? Leave a comment and share your plans for the weekend.
Have fun and share with us! #LOCreativeCircle #mylittleowly
Memorial Day Popsicle Stars - What You'll Need
- Craft popsicle sticks (we used jumbo and regular size)
- Paint in red, white and blue (we purchased this set that has many colors and have been using for our projects)
- Paint brushes (click here for the ones we use)
- Containers for paint (we used left over containers from Yoplait Oui yogurt)
- Ribbon or twine
- Determine how many stars you would like to make. Each star will use 5 craft sticks. We made stars in each color and in two different sizes. A total of 3 large in red, white and blue and 3 small in red, white and blue.
- Paint the craft sticks and let them dry.
- Once the craft sticks are dry, glue together five sticks to create a star shape. Place the glue in the areas where the craft sticks intersect with each other.
- Glue a loop of twine on the back side of the star.
- Hang up your Memorial Day popsicle stars for patriotic décor!
*Please note, this post contains affiliate links.*