It's still Summer and we made an easy and fun themed windsock craft, inspired by I Heart Craft Things, while we were away at the beach this past week. Windsocks are a cylindrical mobile used to tell the speed and direction of the wind and this fish themed one will look great hanging out on your porch or really anywhere!
Since we were making this craft away from home, we wanted something that didn’t require too many materials and mostly things we had at home. All you will need for this craft is different colored cardstock, crepe paper, googly eyes, scissors, tape and glue. The fish on the windsock are created using a template with two circles so it is also a good opportunity to teach little ones about the shape.
A large shade of blue cardstock was used as the windsock and we created our fish using different colors of cardstock that were cut using the circles template then glued together and added a googly eye. Once we created our fish, we glued them onto the blue cardstock in different locations. Next, we cut pieces of green crepe paper for plants, crinkled them together and glued them along the bottom as well as added some pieces coming up in between the fish. We then crumbled small pieces of white crepe paper to create bubbles as if they were coming out of the fishes' mouths. We cut five long strips of crepe paper to hang from the bottom on the underside and glued, these strips will move in the direction of the wind as it blows. We then bent the windsock into a cylinder shape and connected the ends together with tape and added twine to create a handle.
Hang it up outside on your porch and enjoy! Your little one will have fun making this craft and will enjoy watching it dance in the wind.
Have fun and share with us! #LOCreativeCircle #mylittleowly
Fish Themed Windsock - What You'll Need
- Cardstock in different colors (blue as the ocean and any other colors you'd like for the fish, we used 4-5 on each)
- Crepe Paper (green for the plants, white for the bubbles and another color if you'd like to hang from the bottom)
- Googly eyes
- Fish template
- Using the template, cut out the circle shapes to create the fish. Glue as indicated on template. Glue the tail at the end of the fish body and the fin in the center of the fish body. Once you've made as many fish as you'd like on your windsock, glue the googly eyes.
- On your blue sheet of cardstock glue the fish where you would like.
- Cut pieces of green crepe paper for the plants and crinkle them together. Glue along the bottom as well as add pieces coming up in between the fish or to fill any space you'd like.
- Crumble small pieces of the white crepe paper to create bubbles coming out of the fish's mouth.
- Cut about 5 long strips of crepe paper that will hang and glue on the underside of the blue cardstock.
- Bend the blue cardstock to create a cylindrical shape and tape along the edge. Polk two small holes at the top and string twine to create the handle.
- Hang outside and enjoy!