Playdough is popular with little ones and most of all they LOVE playing with it! While it's not only fun and great for open play, there are many learning opportunities when playing with it too…that's a WIN-WIN in our book. Playing with playdough can help little ones with their fine motor skills, creativity and imagination, provides multi-sensory experiences and can be calming and soothing.
This week we made 3 ingredient soft textured playdough and because of the colors and added accents we named it galaxy dough. It was easy, not messy and entertaining! It required no cooking and was made in just a few minutes using hair conditioner, corn starch and food coloring. One of our favorite parts about this activity was using hair conditioner as an ingredient because it helps make the texture extra smooth and adds a delicious scent.
You could choose to make individual colors of galaxy dough and play with them separately as we did for this project or you could blend them together to create the ultimate galaxy look.
We chose to make our galaxy dough using shades of pinks, purples, and blue. We added a touch of glittery stars for an extra fun and sparkly look. You can also bring out an assortment of items to let your little one create different scenes and shapes such as star shaped cookie cutters, rolling pins, beads, space related figurines, etc. to enhance their playtime experience.
The galaxy dough is soft and can last a long time if kept in an air tight container or Ziplock bags. Our little one enjoyed this activity and really used her imagination as she stretched, pulled, rolled and created it. She has also asked to play with her galaxy dough since we made it providing little ones with more than just a one time entertainment and perfect for the Summer days ahead with little ones at home!
Galaxy Dough - What You'll Need
- 1 Cup of hair conditioner (this is the one we had at home and used, the pump made it easier for our little one)
- 2 1/2 cups of corn starch (find a pack of 2 here)
- Food coloring (this is the set we have, it has 12 colors but can be used for many activities)
- Glitter (we used the star one listed here)
- Bowl and spoon/spatula for mixing
- Add 1 cup of hair conditioner to a bowl.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of corn starch slowly using a spoon to the bowl with hair conditioner. You want the mixture to feel slightly dry but not to crumble apart.
- Knead the dough until it comes all together. If it feels too wet, add more corn starch and if it feels too dry add more hair conditioner. You may have to play around with it a bit until desired consistency is achieved.
- Depending on how many colors you will be using, divide the dough and add food coloring. Knead the dough so that it picks up desired colors.
- Dust your glitters, stars, etc. and gently mix it in to give your galaxy dough some sparkle.
- Have fun and play!
Create your own out of this world galaxy dough, have fun and share with us! #LOCreativeCircle #mylittleowly
Find the shirt our little one is wearing at Little Owly! It is the perfect shade of yellow for Summer. Click here to shop the look!
*This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.*