Mother's Day is coming up this Sunday, May 10, and we wanted to share a Mother's Day gift kids can make for mothers, grandmothers, aunts, and mother figures in their lives. Handmade gifts always add that extra special touch especially when they are created by the little hands you love. This colored pasta necklace idea isn't too complicated and you still have time to make.
The necklace maybe as colorful or embellished as your little one would like!
This was a fun project that helps with fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination. We also practiced our colors and numbers as we picked up each pasta bead to string. Remember that older children, depending on their age, will be able to make their necklaces on their own, while it will be more of a collaborative effort with younger ones. Either way, it will be fun to make and a gift the receiver will love to wear!
Mother's Day Pasta Necklace - What You'll Need
- Pasta Noodles, we used a box of Small Rigatoni
- Small Ziplock Bags
- Cookie sheet tray or plate to dry pasta beads
- Painter's Tape (optional)
- Beads (optional)
- Parchment Paper
- First, you will need to paint your pasta. You may do this in different ways, but we placed a few pasta beads into Ziplock bags and added drops of paint to each bag and massaged gently. Use one bag for each color (you may make as many colors as you'd like!). If you are using different pasta shapes, you can mix and match in the color bags. You may also paint each pasta bead using a paint brush or add extra paint designs to colored pasta beads.
- Next, line your tray or plate with parchment paper, spread the painted pasta on cookie sheet and let dry. You may split the project up in two days and leave the pasta to dry overnight.
- Once the pasta beads are completely dry, you may begin stringing your necklace! Cut your string/yarn/twine to desired length, knot one end and place a bead if using and begin stringing your pasta beads through. We wrapped a small amount of Painter's Tape on the end of the string to make it a little easier to string the pasta beads through. Choose the color scheme you'd like, add beads in between, make knots or add any other embellishments you'd like! This is your little one's to make.
- Tie the ends of the necklaces together with a knot and bow and your necklace is ready to be gifted and/or enjoyed by your little one.