Happy 4th of July Weekend! 4th of July is a federal holiday commemorating the Declaration of Independence of the United States. It is celebrated as America's birthday and includes celebrations such as fireworks, parades, family and friend gatherings, concerts and much more!
We love incorporating hands on crafts to teach little one's. We decided to make an American Flag craft with pom poms to celebrate and add some festive decoration to our home this year. While our little one is still young and does not fully understand the concept of the 4th of July, we shared what the American flag looks like, shared about it and practiced colors. She also loved the softness of the Pom Poms. Once they were all laid out on the board she kept touching them and rubbing her hands through.
There are many options to choose when it comes to pom poms but we decided to make our own using a pom pom maker. There are other ways to make them including a fork or cardboard or you could purchase them ready to craft! Making the pom poms with your little one could be a fun part of the project but note it will take some preparation and time beforehand so be sure to split the project in parts.
If you've never used a pom pom maker, it is relatively easy but takes time. The pom pom maker has double arms on each side that you wrap the yarn around. Once you've wrapped the yarn, you cut down the middle and then take a length of yarn and wrap it through the middle of the pom pom maker and tie a double knot. Once it is tied, open the arms and release your pom pom. We used a Pom Pom trim guide to make sure the Pom Poms were the same size and even.
We cut out a rectangle foam board as the base of our flag and then glued our pom poms to create our flag.
This craft is all red, white and blue and can be made for Memorial Day or Flag Day too!
Enjoy the holiday with this fun craft while teaching your little ones the meaning of this day and celebrating America's independence.
How are you planning to celebrate 4th of July with your little ones this year? Leave a comment and share your plans for the weekend.
Have fun and share with us! #LOCreativeCircle #mylittleowly
Pom Pom American Flag - What You'll Need
- Foam board or cardboard as the base for flag (Click here to find the one we used)
- Pom poms in red, white and blue (if you're making your own, you will need yarn in red, white and blue; pom pom maker; scissors; Pom Pom trim guide from Little Owly) We used the materials listed here: Pom Pom maker, Red Yarn, Blue Yarn, White Yarn, to make ours but you could purchase them ready.
- Glue (We used the glue here)
- Wooden stars painted in white (you could also cut out stars from paper or foam)
- Cut a rectangle piece of foam board. We used the approximate dimensions of 15 1/2" x 9 1/2" for ours.
- Have your red, white and blue pom poms ready to go. We used medium sized pom poms and made 12 blue, 32 red and 26 white.
- Draw a smaller square in the top corner, and begin to glue the blue pom poms until the square is filled.
- Begin to glue the red pom poms on the top of the board in a straight line across until the end of the foam board.
- Next, under the first line of red pom poms glue the white pom pom across until the edge.
- Continue to glue the red and white pom poms across alternating each color.
- Hang up your 4th of July Flag for patriotic décor!
*Please note, this post contains affiliate links.*